Life is full of so much activity that we seldom take the time to slow down and be present within ourselves. It’s fast pace and hectic schedules create stress and fatigue within our bodies, leading to dis-ease and suffering within the mind. Our busy lives often pull us away from the very things that are most important to us. For most of us, we tend to live in the past, ruminating over our history, or in the future making up stories about what could possibly happen. True joy can only be found in the present moment. When we are still enough to experience ourselves in this very moment, bliss and harmony fill our being. The push and pull of life slips away and we arrive home, within ourselves, to the peace of the present moment.
Every Wednesday morning at 9:00 am at the Kamloops Yoga Loft we offer a Sweet Round of Meditation drop in class creating a space for you to get back in touch with yourself and reconnect with the things that are most important in your life. Each element of this class has been put together to support you in becoming present and still. This Sweet Round of Meditation practice incorporates:
- Chanting – A short chant is used at the beginning of our practice. This chant is always optional if participants are self-conscious about their voice. However, chanting has many benefits that practitioners may not be aware of.
- It stimulates the Vagus Nerve that affects our parasympathetic nervous system, reducing stress, anxiety, improves digestion, blood pressure, immune system and heart rate just to name just a few,
- It improves concentration and memory,
- Creates a community of voices, as if being in or listening to a choir,
- Invokes our higher-consciousness raising our spirits and lifting our hearts.
- Yoga Postures – A light series of yoga postures are provided to warm up the body, open up the side body, hips, legs and back. This practice prepares us for being able to be still and present in our formal seated meditation. The yoga postures are available to people at all levels of skill.
- Light Breath Work – “Breath is life and life is breath. So long as the breath remains in the body, so long there is life. Hence by means of the breath one attains immortality in this world – Kaushitaki Upanishad”. Participants are introduced to light pranayama (breath control) exercises. The breath work further assists participants in the alignment of the physical body and the mind. In so doing, we begin to experience the bliss and peace of the moment.
- Formal seated meditation – Whether a seasoned meditator or a novice, participants benefit from a formal seated meditation within a group. All silent meditation practices are welcome. Novice will be given a focus during meditation to observe the inhalation and exhalation. When the mind wanders, as it naturally will, participants are encouraged to simply notice and bring their attention back to the breath. In meditation, we again and again return to the present moment while being in the observation of whatever is happening for us as we meditate.
Current participants have commented that they have finally been able to experience the stillness of the present moment or that it is their favorite class. Mediation is an experiential practice, it is not something one can conceptually explain and experience the benefits. Join us in this practice to enjoy the bliss of a still and present moment and to begin the journey of self-discovery.
Interested? This is a drop in class- use a punch card or your unlimited pass to attend or purchase a drop in!
About the facilitator- Wayne Porterfield
Wayne has been meditating for over 30 years. During the mid to late 1990’s, he spent 5 years of intense study under the guidance of a Master meditation teacher, Master Charles Canon of Synchronicity Foundation in Virginia, USA. His specific areas of meditative experience have been in both the Vedic and Buddhist schools of thought. Wayne is also a Certified 200HR Yoga Instructor with emphasis in the Anusara style of yoga. He brings a peaceful, compassionate and loving presence to all of his classes.